Are your spreadsheets growing too large and unmanageable? Are your spreadsheets bursting with data? Do your spreadsheets have way too many links, prompting users to update them regularly? If you answer yes to one or more of these questions you may be ready to convert Excel to a database.
Why convert Excel to a database may be your best option
A database is uniquely poised to take your spreadsheet system and turbo charge it for a much better user experience. Moving data from Excel to a database is quite easy using copy and paste, and you can later export your database reports to Excel.
Use these techniques to convert your spreadsheet(s) to a database
- First, split your Excel data into silos, for example, if you have a tab for orders and each order includes your customer name, address, phone, etc. then you should extract the data into unique records and instead create a customer table that does not have any order data.
- Once you have split the data into silos, you can copy and paste the data direct into your database tables.
- After you have imported your data into tables, it’s recommended you create forms and reports to enter the data and analyze it.
Does convert Excel to a database sound daunting? It can be
How daunting will depend on the complexity of your spreadsheets and your knowledge of database, but once you have completed the project you will LOVE the ease of use and achieve the following benefits:
- Multiple users at once can enter, edit or run reports at the same time, no more “read only” messages.
- Hold a LOT more data than excel: a database can hold millions of records compared to hundreds of thousands in Excel.
- Analyze data much faster than Excel.
Help is available – we are convert Excel to a database experts!
IT Impact can provide your organization with a great quote and convert Excel to a database, allowing your firm to leverage the data and improve productivity. Just fill out the form and we will contact you.